June is National Fruit and Vegetable month and we think it’s a perfect time to share some love for all of the delicious and nutritious fruits and vegetables out there, particularly all of the seasonal delights coming into shops at the moment.
To celebrate this most lip-smacking month we’ve collected two of your five a days’ worth of fun facts about our favourite fruits and vegetables, read on to find out about the world’s most expensive fruit and the most popular fruit in the world.
1. Bananas are technically berries which grow on herbs.
2. Broccoli contains more protein than steak.
3. Apples give you more energy than coffee.
4. Tomatoes are the most popular fruit in the world.
5. Potatoes were the first vegetables to be grown in space.
6. Yubari melons are the most expensive in the world.
7. Apples, cherries and peaches are part of the rose family.
8. One strawberry has about 200 seeds.
9. Apples bought from the supermarket can be up to a year old.
10. Kiwis actually contain more vitamin C than oranges.
Facts from Huffington Post.